CAREFULLY CHOSEN FEW
Surgical Institute chooses its providers with the greatest of care. All of our physicians must become Board Certified by the American Board of Surgery and Fellows of the American College of Surgeons.
No other general surgical group in this region, and few in the nation, can offer this degree of academic excellence in all of their surgeons. Our providers participate daily in group and hospital quality assurance programs.
Our providers are regularly involved in the education of medical students as they each hold an academic appointment in the Department of Surgery from the University of South Dakota. Medical students frequently serve clinical rotations with us as part of their education. If you have any reservations about student involvement in your care, please discuss it with us.
Surgical Institute physicians are active on the regional and national level and hold (or have held) positions including:
- Medical Director of the Avera McKennan Hospital Trauma Program
- Surgical Director of the Avera McKennan Digestive Disease Institute
- Medical Director of the Avera McKennan Bariatric Institute
- Chief of Staff of Avera McKennan Hospital
- Vice Chief of Staff of Avera McKennan Hospital
- Chief of Surgery of Avera McKennan Hospital
- Chairman of the Department of Surgery of Avera McKennan Hospital
- Board Member of Avera McKennan Hospital
- State Chairman of the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma
- State Vice-Chairman of the American College of Surgeons Committee of Trauma
- Regional and State Advanced Trauma Life Support Faculty
- Board Member of Sioux Falls Specialty Hospital
- Surgery Clerkship Director for the USD School of Medicine Avera McKennan Campus
- Surgery Coordinating Committee Member for the USD School of Medicine
- Rectal Cancer Coordinating Committee Member for the American College of Surgeons