ACUTE CARE SURGICALIST SERVICE
Surgical Institute provides a service for Avera McKennan Hospital called the Acute Care Surgicalist Service. Acute care surgeons are general surgeons who provide around-the-clock responsiveness to patients requiring surgical assessment, a procedure or urgent surgery.
- Acute care surgeons are available to patients in the Emergency Department or in the hospital itself.
- An acute care surgeon is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to respond to your need for surgical evaluation. This results in less waiting time should you require urgent surgical care.
- They focus their practice on the needs of hospitalized patients, including those who need surgery or care for traumatic injuries.
- The acute care surgeon may be in charge of your care or may serve as a consultant to another one of your doctors.
- You may be seen by any member of the acute care team while in the hospital. The team meets daily to review every patient’s case.
- Records from your stay can be sent to your primary physician after your stay.